Economic Expansion 4 – Agriculture and Textiles
In this post I’ll discuss the changes coming to the agricultural structures consisting of all structures using organic resources other than wood and agricultural processing structures that use those resources such as the textile industry.
One of the most significant changes involving the agriculture and textile industries is the use of containers for shipping. There is no assumption that storage containers are made as part of harvest or production and agriculture resources in particular almost always require a container in the revamped economy. Unless a recipe specifically utilized a container in production such as rum or wine currently do, existing stocks of agricultural products will need containers in order to be shipped in the 2.15 build.
As for the rest of the changes they vary depending specifically on what structure is being discussed. In general the agriculture industries follow a model where initial resource harvesting is can be done by any faction or career but the processing of those resources is heavily a free trader only enterprise for nationals. Pirates are moving toward their own resource usage model that will allow them to make everything they need but is focused more on raiding and pillaging than building infrastructure. This system will be explained in more detail with Provisioning and Shipbuilding and in the Loot Economy posts.
For a brief look at the rest of the changes to the agriculture and textile industries we’ll start with Plantations as they are the most numerous of the agriculture structures.
Some plantations in general change little in comparison to lumber oriented structures. Cacao, coffee, cochineal, and cotton plantations as well as vineyards and pastures all maintain their current places in the revamped economy as the producers of those resources. Few of their outputs are changed, labor costs are increased (this is general to the economy as a whole) and costs rise or fall depending on the specific crop being produced.
The Sugar Plantation, Tobacco Plantation, General Plantation and all Advanced structure deeds are being retired. The existing structures will continue to operate producing their primary crops though less efficiently than their replacement structures in the revamped economy. Existing deeds for these structures can be exchanged or still be used. These plantations are being replaced by the Sugar Estate, Tobacco Estate and Plantation Estate structures. These three plantation estates are all free trader only structures. Estate structures in general combine harvesting and processing of their particular crops or provide new crops. New crops being added include Flax, Rice, Maize, and Peas.
New structures also being added into this category of resource producers include:
· Farms which produce Pigs, Poultry and Butter as well as having Cheese production moved to them from the Provisioner (which becomes a purely provisioning structure). Farms are basic structures available to all factions and careers.
· The Salt Pen produces Salt which is used in provisioning and many resource processes. The Salt Pen is a basic structure available to all factions and careers.
· The Buccaneer’s Camp is a special Buccaneer only structure that focuses on the unique relationship Buccaneers have with native resources. The Buccaneer’s Camp has the ability to produce some of the same resources as other structures while also having some unique resources such as Turtles and Shellfish used in Pirate only recipes. The Buccaneer’s Camp will be covered in greater detail in the Loot economy posts as it is one of the few structures that straddles both the resource and loot segments of the economy.
· The Farm Estate is a new partner level structure that combines the outputs of the Farm and the Plantation Estate into an agriculture super structure capable of producing the widest variety of agriculture resources. The Farm Estate is available to all factions and careers.
Meat and Hides
With the addition of pork being added greater distinction was desired regarding meat production as it affects provisioning requirements explained in a later post. The change required that meat produced from game be distinguishable from beef and pork so an item such as cured meat is being removed from the game. All existing supplies of cured meat can be exchanged for cured beef regardless of their origin in the revamped economy at local junk dealers.
Slaughterhouses are being maintained with pork production replacing game and fish and additional meat byproducts such as beef fat used in the production of tallow being added. Hides produced by Slaughterhouses are cattle hides only as pigs produce pigskin. Game hides are referred to as skins in the revamped economy. Their production, along with game meat is entirely done by the Hunting Lodge in the revamped economy just as fish production is entirely done by the Fishing Lodge. This change necessitated the removal of fish curing and game hide production from the Slaughterhouse.
With Game hide production moved to the Hunting Lodge the Tanner is being retired in favor of the new Leather Works structure. The Tanner will continue to function primarily as a processor of cattle hides and a secondary processor of game skins with reduced output. New Tanner deeds will not be available in the 2.15 build. The Leather Works becomes the primary hide processor and product manufacturer with several new leather products being added such as different types of leather, footwear, livery tack, buckets, bindings, and belts. The Leather Works is a basic free trader only structure.
Other Resource Processors
The Tar Distillery, Rum Distillery and Sugar Refinery are all being retired in favor of a generalized Boilery structure capable of the production previously covered by all three. The Boilery is intended to serve as an addition to structures that use distillation or boiling for concentration as part of its resource processing. As with the other retired structures the current Tar Distillery, Rum Distillery and Sugar Refinery will continue to operate, existing deeds will continue to work but no more new deeds can be produced in the 2.15 build. The Boilery is a free trader only basic structure.
There are additional new structures in the Chandler’s Shop that specializes in the production of soap and candles and the Bakery which specializes in bread, beer and ale production. The outputs of these structures are used predominantly in provisioning and other industrial processes. The Chandler’s Shop and Bakery are basic structures available to all factions and careers.
The Powder Mill is little changed beyond labor and cost adjustments common to the entire economy and receives a new recipe for Blasting Powder (used by mines and quarries) as a new product available for production. The Powder Mill continues to be a basic structure available to all factions and careers.
The Winery is also little changed as it already used containers in its resource processing. It has similar adjustments that are common to most structures in the economy revamp with some additional production options that center around container usage and a tie in with the Loot economy covered in posts regarding that portion of the economy. No changes have been made to the Winery’s restrictions.
Textile Industry Changes
The biggest changes to the textile industry include the addition of linen based products used predominantly in provisioning and containers (sacks) used by a variety of agriculture structures for product shipping in addition to all products currently produced. As an industry, textile production is moving to a free trader only based production model with Pirates having much of this type of production moved to their revamped shipbuilding covered in later posts.
The Textile Mill and Advanced Textile Mill are being retired as some of their current products are being spun off into their own businesses. The existing Textile Mills and Advanced Textile Mills will continue to function and will have necessary recipes versions of new items added to them to maintain the ability to continue a basic production chain with them. The new items added however will come with slower and more costly output than the Improved Textile Mill that replaces them. Existing Textile Mill deeds can still be used or exchanged in the revamped economy. The Improved Textile Mill is a free trader only basic structure intended to replace both current textile mill structures.
Other changes to the textile industry include:
· Rigging production is moving out of the textile industry completely. The textile industry continues to produce most of the components of rigging but the final assembly of rigging in the revamped economy is done in the shipyards, (or structures like careening camps for Pirates).
· The Rope Walk is a new structure takes over as the primary cordage producing structure. It is a basic free trader only structure. The Rope Walk produces rope more efficiently than the Textile Mill as well as being a producer of cable and oakum used in shipbuilding.
· The Sail Loft is a new sail producing structure. It is a basic free trader only structure. The Sail Loft produces sails of differing sizes and strengths with its output being used in rigging construction, ship provisioning and ship outfitting production.
· The Textile Factory is a new partner structure that combines the Improved Textile Mill, Rope Walk and Sail Loft production capabilities in addition to the added production of clothing items used in provisioning and desired by regional markets. The Textile Factory is available to all factions and careers.