This page lists our specific policies for in-game behavior. This page is updated often, so take the time to familiarize yourself with its contents and read it regularly.
Take note: threads posted to our forums discussing these issues or identifying players that are presumed to be in violation of these rules will be removed. This also applies to in-game chat. Violators of this rule may be muted and/or be issued infractions for repeated chat channel violations. The only appropriate venue for additional questions, concerns, requests for rule violation investigations or service complaints is a support ticket, which you can access by contacting our support team.
You may not share accounts with, buy accounts from, or sell accounts to other players. You may not let other players log into your account for any reason. Any items, ships, money, etc. lost as a result of account sharing, selling, or buying will not be reimbursed and accounts implicated in sharing, buying or selling may be permanently banned.
Active Nation Select allows you to change which nation you play with on your account. You can make this change in the first 72 hours after a server victory has occurred. To mitigate possible selection mistakes due to game mechanic misunderstandings we will allow each account one reset of the active nation selection if the mistake occurs during the first 30 days of the account's creation or as part of maintaining character access for a server transferred character.
During the course of normal game play, players occasionally make catastrophic mistakes such as deleting very valuable items or item containers unintentionally. We will grant each account one account mulligan to reverse the effect of a catastrophic error. These mulligans are awarded on a case by case basis to reverse the effects of an obvious user error if possible but not to reverse loss effects inherent to the nature of the game, and are not guaranteed.
As you are now allowed multiple nations per server, some of you may wish to un-delete characters that you deleted because they didn't fit with our old restrictions.
We are happy to un-delete characters, however we reserve the right to deny an un-delete request if a player is putting undue strain on resources. This will be assessed on a case-by-case basis.
A character may be undeleted once only. If a player has a character undeleted and then deletes it again, it will remain deleted.
Players are welcome to have as many accounts as they wish and can even use them to have characters of different Nations on the same server. However, you may not
- Participate on both sides of a port battle. If you receive an invite to multiple nations for the same port battle, you may only accept one of those invitations and must decline the other.
- Use alternate characters to grief other Nations and/or sabotage battles with other players, including shot blocking or impeding movement.
- Use ships of more than one Nation in any combat instance or within the same PvP area (red zone), except in a no loss environments such as Duel or Skirmish. PvP areas (red zones) include instances contained within the red zone (PvP or PvE) and the red zone port docks or town.
- Use one of your characters to maliciously manipulate the Conquest system in favor of another of your characters that has a different Active Nation.
- Players may not use excessive numbers of accounts in any single nation or combination of nations to exploit game mechanics in a manner that negatively impacts the health of the game overall. The number of accounts considered excessive is considered case by case at the discretion of Portalus Games. An example of an activity not allowed would be a single player using multiple accounts to blockade a port. The activity was intended to be a group activity and not a single player action.
This expectation of multiple account useage also applies to families, significant others and roommates that share a home and play multiple accounts. Violations of this rule will be considered harassment and/or griefing, and will be policed as such.
Selling, gifting, or trading durability to pirates is a practice that is not allowed. Players who violate this policy will be subject to disciplinary action, with repeat offenders risking permanent suspension of their Pirates of the Burning Sea account.
- You may not harass other players. Continued unwanted contact or communication outside of the scope of the code of conduct is strictly forbidden, regardless of your location or the existence of chat filters or other mechanisms that may be in place to mitigate this type of behaviour.
- You may not disrupt the normal playability of a zone or instance. Zone/Instance disruption is defined as any activity designed to harm or inconvenience a player or group of players through the use of game mechanics in a way that is contrary to their intended purpose.
- Disruption includes the use of language and/or actions intended to disturb groups of players or specific Zones or Instances in an effort to:
- Use in-game sounds, visuals, user created content or other effects in an effort to harass or annoy
- Flood in game chat channels with repeated messages, offensive messages or other content that is specifically designed to annoy or harass other players
- You may not threaten, or with malicious intent cause distress to other players.
- You may not operate a Society that habitually violates these rules, or a Society that is founded as a hate group or for the purposes of disrupting game play.
- You may not create user content with the specific purpose of harassing or annoying another player or group
If a player is found to have disrupted an area of the world or a group of players, he/she may:
- Be given a warning
- Be prevented from speaking in in-game chat channels for a period of time
- Be temporarily suspended from the game if behavior continues
- Be permanently removed from the Pirates of the Burning Sea game service
Remember, warnings and bans may be issued at the discretion of Portalus Games or its agents. IMPORTANT: Disciplinary issues involving Societies may be addressed with the entire Society. Societies with members that habitually violate our expectations may be issued warnings that are applicable to the entire Society. Societies that prove regularly problematic may face blanket suspensions, up to and including the permanent disbanding of the Society, and/or removal of some/all of its members from Pirates of the Burning Sea.
If you see someone using in-game chat in an inappropriate way, be it to insult, harass or threaten, you should contact our support team to let us know. We will investigate and issue a warning or infraction point(s) as appropriate.
You can always appeal any ban or infraction by contacting our support team.
You may not post, broadcast or reproduce in-game, without express written permission, any private correspondence between official representatives of Portalus Games or Flying Lab Software and community members. This includes any private messages, conversations or support ticket responses involving GMs, Developers and Forum Moderators.
If you do not follow the rules and expectations, then we reserve the right to issue warnings, infractions and/or take additional action(s) against your account, which can take the form or temporary or even permanent bans.
Our Customer Service team will be the sole arbiters of this process, however you may file an appeal to any warning or ban by contacting our support team.